- Harris Connect's Commitment »
- Sources of information »
- Notice of disclosure »
- Choice & Consent »
- Access & Participation »
- Security »
- Accountability »
- Inquiries »
- State Registrations as a Professional Fundraising Firm »
- Do not call policy »
Harris Connect's Commitment:
For over 50 years, Harris Connect has worked to develop and maintain the trust of our client organizations and their respective alumni, members and donors, in the United States and worldwide. We are committed to protecting the privacy of each individual from whom we collect information, thereby continuing the important relationship of trust that has been built throughout our company's history.
Sources of Information
Harris Connect receives personally-identifiable information about individuals from various sources, including from:
- Our client institutions or organizations with which we have signed contracts. Information is typically restricted to directory-type information such as name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, current job title, and business contact information. The use of such information is restricted to the use as set forth in each signed agreement with the client organization, and distributed (if applicable) only within the closed community of constituents of that organization. For fundraising campaigns that we conduct as a professional fundraising firm, the charitable organization that has contracted with us typically provides us with only basic contact information (name, address, telephone, email address), as available, and sometimes with giving history for its past and potential donors. For fundraising campaigns that we conduct on behalf of healthcare entities, we are under Business Associate Agreements with such entities to secure and protect the Protected Health Information (PHI) of prospective donors (which, in the case of our fundraising campaigns, is restricted to basic contact information, past giving history, if applicable, and possibly status as a past patient or relative of a past patient—but no PHI beyond that relationship status).
- Our research partners with which signed agreements are in place, including strict confidentiality requirements. Information may include updated address, telephone number and/or email address information. This information may be merged with other personally-identifiable information to enable us to contact individuals via mail, telephone or email, for whom the client organization did not have current contact information.
- Individuals themselves, who voluntarily provide their own information, or may provide information about another potential directory participant. Such information may include their e-mail address (for example, when an inquiry is sent by e-mail), or other information provided when an individual makes an inquiry about our services by completing the "Request for Proposal" form (such as name, address, telephone number, job title and pertinent historical information about the organization on behalf of which they are inquiring), or asks to be included in a directory. Harris Connect does not knowingly collect information from individuals under the age of 13.
- Our Web site. In addition to the personally identifiable information described above, non-personally-identifiable information, such as "cookies", Internet browser information and IP addresses, may be gathered as you navigate our Web site. We use this information to determine which pages you visit, and in what order you visit them, in order to help us identify the strengths and weaknesses of our site, so that we may constantly improve it to better serve you. No personally-identifiable information is collected on our Web site that has not been voluntarily supplied by the individual themselves.
Notice & Disclosure
Other than as described in the paragraph above, we will share your personal information with only a very limited group of persons or entities—except with your informed consent—including our research partners and third party vendors who help us provide you with the services and products we offer (all of which have signed agreements with Harris Connect containing provisions protecting the confidentiality of this information that at a minimum are equivalent to and in some cases more restrictive than this policy). With your express consent, Harris Connect will provide verification of your academic credentials (degree, class year, institution name) for pre-employment or any other academic purposes that you have authorized. At all times, however, Harris Connect reserves the right to disclose any information, including personally identifiable information, to comply with any applicable law, regulation, legal process or government request; to protect the company's rights or property (including without limitation in the event of a merger or transfer of control of Harris Connect or substantially all of its assets); during emergencies when safety is at risk; or for credit fraud protection and risk reduction purposes.
We ask that you also please keep in mind that this site may contain links to other Web sites, which may or may not be owned or operated by Harris Connect. Unless otherwise explicitly stated, we are not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of such Web sites, including such sites' use of any information collected when visitors to our Web site click through links to those sites. To the extent you disclose your personal information on unaffiliated Web sites, different rules may apply to the use or disclosure of that information to third parties.
Please keep in mind also that, whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online—for example, on message boards, through e-mail, or in chat areas—that information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information online that is accessible to other members or alumni of your school, association or organization, we cannot control others' use of that information.
Choice & Consent
While we believe that all of the products and online services Harris Connect offers are valuable to everyone, we realize that you may not wish to participate. Your school, association, or organization will provide us with your directory information (or, in the case of fundraising campaigns, basic contact information and past giving history, as available) to carry out whatever project or service for which they have contracted with Harris Connect, but the inclusion of your personal information in any of our products or as part of any of our services is at your option. You have the ability to request omission of all or portions of your personal information from our directory projects, should you elect to do so. When updating information for an alumni or membership directory (whether print, CD-ROM, e-book or online versions), you will be notified that this information will be included in a directory with closed circulation (e.g., made available only to the client organization and to the alumni or members of the organization).
Harris Connect will always abide by any request received by an individual to omit all or part of his/her personal information from appearing in any product produced by Harris Connect. Additionally, Harris Connect will honor any request received via email, telephone or mail, to be excluded from some or all of our marketing efforts (e.g., receive mailing offers, but no telephone calls) associated with our products, or products being offered in conjunction with our standard products. If you request to be excluded from all marketing efforts, Harris Connect will not contact you. In compliance with Federal and state consumer protection policies, and The Direct Marketing Association, Harris Connect adheres to the law and respective codes of conduct on data privacy and also places the names, addresses and telephone numbers of individuals who request that Harris Connect not contact them via telephone on a "Do Not Call" list to further ensure your privacy and that of your personal information.
If you wish to opt out of inclusion in a product produced by Harris Connect, please notify us as follows, identifying the specific program (e.g., XYZ University Alumni Directory). Please note that omission requests for print directory programs must be received by Harris Connect in a timely fashion before the directory goes to print, and will be honored by Harris Connect if the request is received prior to the conclusion of the information update phase of the program.
If you wish to opt out of inclusion in future fundraising campaigns of a specific charitable organization for which Harris Connect is serving as a professional fundraising firm, we will notify the applicable organization of your request and will ask that they put you on their own "Do Not Call" list.
By telephone:By mail:Harris Connect Customer Service
PO Box 2910
Chesapeake, VA 23327-2910
Access & Participation
Access to and active participation in all of our products and services is convenient and easy if you are a bona fide alumnus/a, member or potential donor of one of Harris Connect's client organizations. Your name and other personally-identifiable information must be provided on the database we receive from your pertinent organization in order for you to be permitted to gain access to our Online Services, to purchase a directory, or to donate to a fundraising campaign. If we cannot validate your affiliation, we will contact the organization to determine your status. We want you to be actively involved in order to get the most out of our services, so we provide convenient, toll-free direct telephone numbers for customer service, and easy online access for you to contact us, too. Updating your directory listings, providing corrections, or purchasing a directory can be done at your convenience. You may have access to your information during the production of and approximately three months after a printed directory project is completed. For online directories, you have access to your information as long as the client organization has an active contract with us to host its online directory. In order to gain access to memberconnections.com and alumniconnections.com, individuals will be provided with a user name but will be asked to create a unique password. Individuals who have the option of updating their print directory information online will be provided with a unique ID, enabling them to update their own information but no one else's.
Although Harris Connect simultaneously hosts information for multiple client organizations, each organization and its constituents can only view the information pertinent to that organization.
Except as we've outlined elsewhere in this Policy, Harris Connect will neither give nor sell your personal information to anyone who does not have a hand in directly providing you with all of our valuable products and services. Your information appears in a directory (online, print, e-book, or CD-ROM) unless you ask us to exclude it, and we always make a significant effort to safeguard your personal information provided to us for inclusion in a directory, whether that information was provided by you via mail, by phone, or online. Additionally, all Harris Connect employees are bound by a written confidentiality policy which mandates they will not disclose personally-identifiable information that they have access to as part of their job. Harris Connect restricts access to certain databases containing personally-identifiable information to employees on an "as needed" basis. Although no online data transmission can be 100% guaranteed secure, Harris Connect's online security is consistent with online industry security requirements and access to your own personal information is password protected to further ensure your privacy. However, please keep in mind that Harris Connect cannot be responsible for any activity of a school, association, or organization that results in a deviation from our standard security measures. For print directories, each individual has his/her own identification number that confirms their status as a bona fide alumnus/a or member. The association of a unique ID# with each person minimizes the risk of errors when personal information is updated. Harris Connect conducts all of its programs and services that include credit card processing in full compliance with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards, comprised of VISA's Cardholder Information Security Program (CISP) and MasterCard's Site Data Protection (SDP) program, as well as Discover's (DISC) and American Express's Data Security Operating Policies.
Quality and accuracy hold a place of high importance at Harris Connect since so many individuals look to the products and services we provide for career networking, getting back in touch with old friends, and reaching out to make new ones. Therefore, it is very important that you be able to contact Harris Connect if your published personal information is inaccurate in any way. Through our customer service department (which you may contact online or via phone), you can provide corrections and updates to your personal information conveniently and easily. By letting us know of any changes to your personal information prior to publication, we can make sure the most up-to-date information is included in our directories. We want you to get the most value out of our products and services, and working with you to ensure the information we provide is up-to-date is the best way to accomplish that.
State Registrations as a Professional Fundraising Firm
Harris Connect is registered as a professional solicitor in all the states in which we conduct our charitable solicitation programs on behalf of our various non-profit and not-for-profit client organizations. In those states that require it, Harris Connect posts a performance bond as insurance that the programs we conduct will be performed in conformance with applicable state fundraising laws. Harris Connect and its client organizations jointly file all necessary reports back to those applicable states to disclose the results of the fundraising campaigns.
DO NOT CALL POLICY*
For over 50 years, Harris Connect has worked to develop and maintain the trust of our client organizations and their respective alumni and members, in the United States and worldwide. We are committed to protecting the privacy of each individual from whom we collect information, thereby continuing the important relationship of trust that has been built throughout our company's history. Our compliance with applicable governmental regulations is also vital to continuing the relationship of trust with our clients and consumers. Harris Connect applies the Direct Marketing Association’s code of ethics and takes the following measures to ensure compliance with their guidelines and all pertinent laws.
- Restricts its outbound calling hours to: 8:00am through 9:00pm Monday through Friday, 8:00am through 8:00pm Saturday, and 12:00pm through 9:00pm Sunday. These hours represent consumer's local time and are subject to further restriction based on the laws of individual states;
- For its commercial solicitation programs, provides its customer service telephone number to consumers during the call so they may contact us with any inquiries (see contact information below);
- Trains its teleservices representatives to provide their name, the purpose for the call and the company name promptly upon reaching consumers;
- Honors requests made (via phone, mail, or email) from consumers to place their names and telephone numbers on our internal Do Not Call list or, in the case of the fundraising campaigns, advises the applicable charitable organization of the request to be placed on the organization's own Do Not Call list;
- Retains consumers' names and telephone numbers on its Do Not Call list for five years, and updates the list as each request is received;
- Processes requests for inclusion on the Do Not Call list in a timely fashion, but in no event more than 30 days after receiving the request, to ensure no additional calls are placed to a consumer who has made such a request;
- Includes its corporate Do Not Call guidelines and procedures in its training segments for all new Harris Connect representatives, trainers, and managers;
- Re-trains Harris Connect representatives, trainers, and managers, as needed, on applicable corporate Do Not Call guidelines and procedures.
*Aside from maintaining its own Do Not Call list, Harris Connect also voluntarily applies for its commercial solicitation programs the National Do Not Call Registry (as maintained by the Federal Trade Commission), Do Not Call lists of specific states that have enacted Do Not Call regulations and maintain exclusion lists administered via their own state attorney general. For fundraising campaigns, Harris Connect complies with the pertinent laws of those states that have telephone restrictions.
Harris Connect Customer Service
PO Box 2910
Chesapeake, VA 23327-2910